Monday, December 28, 2009

Williams AZ

I drove through a blizzard, at 7,000 feet. In hindsight, though everything ended up working out fine, even to my advantage in some ways, this was not a wise choice of driving weather. Behind a truck at 30 miles an hour, he slowed down fast and I panicked and slammed on my brakes. Into the snow bank I went, and when they went to fish me out, my transmission had somehow blown. So started my 9 day tenure in Williams, a sleepy little Route 66 town, the "gateway to the Grand Canyon."





The hotel. By the time I left it had thawed out a great deal. The town was surrounded by foothills, as you can make out from the last picture, taken in a hail flurry the day my car was supposed to be finished and wasn't.









The town of Williams. I rented some movies, I walked to Safeway several times, I mingled with the local cowboys a little, and crashed at The Flyer for wifi connection during the day. All and all, not unpleasant.

No comments:

Post a Comment